Linskeldfield is surrounded by open countryside. It’s an easy rural walk to the medieval church at Isel or to the next village of Sunderland, or head out on a network of public footpaths, bridleways and ancient ‘lonnings’ to the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. We also have a natural tarn on our land with a footpath around it – just perfect for an early morning stroll and a spot of birdwatching!
Further afield, pleasant footpaths link Mirehouse with St Bega’s Chapel and the lake shore. And on the opposite side of the lake is Whinlatter Forest Park with miles and miles of footpaths and forest tracks to explore at leisure.
Our cottages are also perfectly located for climbing the ‘Wainwrights’ – the 214 fells that feature in Alfred Wainright’s well-known Pictoral Guides to the Lakeland Fells.
Cyclists have a great choice of quiet lanes and bridleways to explore – ideal for leisurely pedalling. Head west to seek out the rural villages of Bridekirk, Gilcrux and Arkleby with their fascinating medieval churches, east for the open spaces of the Caldbeck Fells; and south for the River Derwent, Bassenthwaite Lake and Cockermouth.
The cross-country Reivers Cycle Route passes directly through Linskeldfield, while the well-known Sea to Sea Cycle Route is a little further to the south.
Nearby Whinlatter Forest Park is nationally known for its cycling trails including the 6-mile Altura Trail, designed specifically for mountain bikers, complete with steep climbs, twisting turns, exhilarating descents and scarifying jumps.
• Undercover storage for bikes
• Cleaning facilities for bikes, boots and equipment
• Puncture repair kits
• Drying area
• First aid kits
• Local OS maps
• Join a local walking group. Keswick Ramblers have a regular programme of walks throughout Cumbria fortnightly on Wednesdays and Sundays.
• Hire your own guide. Anna Gray is a local Blue Badge Tour Guide, specialising in friendly and informative tours of the area – on foot or in a minibus. Tel: 01228 562096 or 07557 915855 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
In each cottage you will find a pack of 8 local walks devised by the local parish council. Each walk leaflet contains directions, a map and useful information on features of interest.
Bike hire is available from:
• 4 Play Cycles in Cockermouth
• Keswick Bikes
This place is amazing – everything has been thought of. The kennels are an excellent idea.Nikki, Dave and George, Blackpool